Monday, June 18, 2007

Whitewater Rafting: Lochsa River, ID

On June 10th we went whitewater rafting with about 20+ people from Erik's work. There were three boats and some people from Erik's company did the guiding so it was free, except for the gear rental. We went on the Lochsa River in Idaho (only about 1 hour away). It is often a Class V river but as the spring runoff goes down it changes to about a Class VI with some Class III. In a week or so it won't be passable anymore due to the boulders and rock in the river. We had a blast! Our boat was the only boat of the three that did not tip/flip. Of course, I did not have my camera with me because I don't have a waterproof camera so I don't have any pictures but there are a lot of guided trips that run this river and there is a guy who is cashing in on that fact. He stands by Lochsa Falls and takes pictures of rafts as they go through and then posts them on his website for sale. Of course they are expensive, but if you really want one you can get it. The link is: www.lochsa.info Find "6-10-07 Privates" click on that. Then our boats are pictures 31-59 and 84-97. The boat Erik and I were in is the first boat in the pictures (a red boat) and it looks like it's having the easiest time! Our guide is wearing a green helmet. I am sitting in front of him, I have a redbill ball cap on under my helmet. Erik is right next to me on the other side. Enjoy the carnage of the other boats! BTW: everyone was just fine, most people were able to get right back in the boats, we only had three people who swam to shore on the first flip. What a blast, hope to do it again some day!

No comments: