Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hiking Pals

I have been so excited to have a friend that I can go hiking with during the week when Erik is at work and I am not sleeping (from working night shift, not being lazy!). This summer Jennifer and I have been able to hike with her two boys also. On June 19th we did a hike in the Gash Creek Area. They had a big fire there in 2006 that was started by an arsonist who was convicted in both state and federal crimes. He started at least 20 fires that year that he admitted to! Crazy, huh! Well, we did realize we would be hiking exactly where the fire was. But instead of totally ruining our hike it actually made it more interesting and the views were wonderful. The land will heal itself and become lush once again. The hike was 5 miles rounds trip and we gained only 700 ft.
Here's a pic of the hiking crew:
Here's the trail through the burned forest.
Here's a view we would not have had if the forest was full:
Here's Glen Lake, the lake we hiked to:

I will say it was one of the dirtiest hikes I've done, with all the dust and ash around! I needed a double scrub down that night before bed.

More tomorrow!

No comments: