Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Friends are a good thing!

So, I've been trying to post over the last two weeks and it wouldn't upload the pictures I wanted it too! So today I kept trying picture until it let me load. Sorry for the delay. I'll be posting alot in the next week or so because I want to get CAUGHT up! Enjoy:


Over the 4th of July week my bestest friend Kirstin and her hubby Chris stopped in Red Lodge, MT and I got to visit them! Red Lodge is only about 4 1/2-5 hrs away. If you've never been there you must try to go, it's a wonderful place to visit at the north end of the Beartooth Pass. This is one of the most beautiful drives in the US and goes right into Yellowstone N.P. We camped just south of Red Lodge next to a creek, I think it was Rock Creek. I forgot my sleeping bag and realized it, luckily, before the stores closed so I got a nice flannel lined Coleman at the hardware store in town for $27! Reminded me of the sleeping bags we used as kids except this flannel was plaid and not covered with deer or ducks. (Remember, Dad?) We drove up to Hellroaring Plateau (at 10,000 ft) on this crazy road that tested the best of the nerves. I was not worried on the way up but the way down was a little more scary. It was hard to get pictures to show the steep grade. Then we hiked to some high alpine lakes climbing another 1000 ft. or so. Our day was mostly off trail, climbing over boulders, across alpine scrub grasses and tiny wildflower and across my first snow field! I tried not to step on too many little flowers with my big feet. The snowfield was unnerving for me but the snow was soft and sticky so you didn't slip, too much anyway! Chris did a lot of fly fishing and I tried it as well. Can't wait to get myself a pole now! It was such an amazing day, the sights are undescribable and the pictures only giv eyou a hint at the beauty! Here's the shots from the day:
Beautiful shot of the lupine and mountains from the trail:Friends on the trail: The trail UP! What can I say? (Sliderock Lake is below. now sure name of all the mountains) Kirstin on the snow field: It's a home run!: Fun with fish (in Hairpin Lake): This is a shot looking out the window as we drove down the "crazy" road. we were camped way down there in the trees somewhere. If you've ever heard of the Beartooth Highway that goes into Yellowstone from the NE corner the large cuts in the opposite mountain are the highway. Picture doesn't really tell the whole story of how high up we were and how steep the road was but you can get a little idea. Check back tomorrow for our hiking trip to Glacier Lake!







1 comment:

tlcm said...

I totally remember our sleeping bags with the ducks. What a fun memory!
little sis, tara