Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Up and Posting FINALLY!

Well, after a much too long absence I'm (we're) back! With the holidays and the incredible amount of time it took to upload photos with dial up I stopped posting for Nov and Dec. I'm sorry it's been so long and that I haven't even finished the pics of Rome/Germany!
So we're still here, alive and well in Montana. We had great visit in MN for the holidays, of course we couldn't spend enough time with our friends or family but it was good what we time we had.
I hate laving things unfinished of I'm going to finish the Rome/Germany pics. I'll try to do it today and tomorrow so that I can catch up you all up on the rest of our life!
So I think we're on Day #4 of Rome.
We had a smaller agenda this day which worked out great because Erik started to get a cold and we were able to get some extra rest in before Pompeii on day 5.
Here's a pic of us in front of St. Peter's. We just had to go back a second time and see it again. Unfortunately, it was so hot and we forgot they have a strict dress code so Erik couldn't go in because his shorts were too short! Ugh!! So I went in for a while.
We walked down Via Corridori to Castel Sant' Angelo. This is a view back down the street to the Vatican.
The Castle was built as a tomb for Emperor Hadrian in a.d.139, then used through the Middle Ages as a Castle, prison and place of last refuge for the popes under attack. This view of it is from the shore of the Tiber River where we were sitting.
Here's a close up of the Angel on the top:
Here's a view of the Vatican from the top. Do you see the wall in the lower right hand corner that is going back towards the Vatican? That was built in the 1200's for the popes to use as a protected way to get to the Castle when the city was under siege. The Vatican was outside City walls and unprotected.

And that's pretty much all we did that day except get a little more gellato!

No comments: